Homemade Margarita Pizza (the easiest and richest pizza recipe)2 min read
Margarita pizza or Margherita pizza is probably the simplest pizza recipe out there and at the same time the most popular pizza.
It seems that chef Raffaele Esposito created it at Il Brandi restaurant to honor the queen of Italy, Margherita Teresa di Savoia , representing the colors of the Italian flag: red with tomato, white with mozzarella cheese and green with basil .
It is a very simple pizza with only 3 ingredients but if we know how to make it correctly it is delicious.
Margarita Pizza Recipe
For the pizza dough
- 375 g of strong flour
- 225 ml of warm water
- 3 g fresh pressed yeast or 1 g dry yeast
- 10 g of salt
Margarita pizza filling
- 250 g of fresh mozzarella
- 80 g of natural tomato sauce or concentrated tomato
- fresh basil
How to make Margarita pizza
Neapolitan pizza dough
The pizza dough used to make the margarita pizza is the Neapolitan dough , which is fluffier than the Roman pizza. However, and since its process is very long to do, we leave you a video where in just one minute we explain how to make a perfect and easy pizza dough:
Margarita pizza assembly
- Put your oven on full power and let it preheat for 20-25 minutes.
- Once you have the pizza dough ready, place it on baking paper, spread the tomato on the base, taking care not to overdo it so as not to moisten the dough too much. Spread the mozzarella over the dough.
- Place the pizza directly on the bottom plate of the oven -with no more protection than paper-, it is the best way to get a strong blow of heat. You can also use a pizza stone if you want to give your homemade pizzas a stone oven touch.
- It depends a lot on the oven but you will need between 4 and 8 minutes. Check out more recipes on at Pet Pooja.
- Then place it on top for another minute or two so that the ingredients finish browning.
- Take it out of the oven and add a few fresh basil leaves. Serve immediately.
Tips for making the best Margherita pizza
- Margarita pizza dough is stretched by hand and baked at a very high temperature.
- The diameter of the Neapolitan pizza in general should never be greater than 35 cm.
- It has a high, smooth edge (which prevents the ingredients from spilling over the edges during baking), with a thickness of 1-2 cm and a minimum of 0.4 cm in the center.
- Its crust is spongy, thanks to the air incorporated during kneading.