Surely Corn Dogs are familiar to you , those battered and fried American hot dogs that are usually eaten at fairs. They are made with a batter made from cornmeal, and are usually skewered on a wooden skewer to make them easier to coat and also to eat with your hands.
They are a simple recipe that we can put at any informal dinner or at a children’s birthday as a snack.
American Corn Dogs Recipe
- 1 package of frankfurters
- 1/2 cup of cornmeal
- 1/2 cup plain wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- Vegetable oil, for frying
How to make Cornmeal Battered Hot Dogs
- To make these Corn Dogs easier to handle, the first thing we do is cut the sausages in half.
- Insert a wooden skewer stick into each sausage.
Corn batter for the Corn Dogs
- In a large bowl, mix the corn flour, the wheat flour, the sugar, the yeast or baking powder, and the salt.
- In a cup, mix the egg and milk.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients, and beat with a spoon or spatula until well blended.
How to fry corn dogs
- Add oil to a large skillet and heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Dip each sausage in the cornmeal mixture, until completely covered. To make it easier we can put the mixture in a tall glass.
- We put the sausage dipped in the dough in the pan. Check out more recipes on at Pet Pooja.
- Fry until golden and crispy, about 3 minutes, then transfer to a paper towel lined plate to remove excess oil.
We serve the corn dogs immediately accompanied by mustard, homemade ketchup , guacamole , or our favorite sauces.