Surely you have heard of the famous American peanut butter cookies or peanut butter cookies .
The best of all is that these cookies are very easy to make and are a pleasure for the senses, because they are delicious.
And taking advantage of the fact that peanut butter is one of the ingredients that is often used in the keto diet , we have thought to give you both versions, the original American recipe , and the keto version without sugar .
We have tried both recipes for peanut butter cookies , and we can attest that they are both very good, and you will surely repeat the recipe… so let’s get down to business!
- Battered mozzarella cheese sticks (QUICK and EASY recipe)
- How to make Swiss rolls (easy and original recipe)
- 120 g of peanut butter
- 100g white sugar
- 100g brown sugar
- 120g butter at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 150 g of wheat flour
- 4 ml of baking soda
- 2.5g baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
How to make traditional american peanut butter cookies
Prepare the peanut butter dough
- Beat the butter well until fluffy.
- Add the sugar and beat for a couple more minutes.
- Add the peanut butter and egg, and mix well until incorporated.
- In another separate bowl, mix all the dry ingredients.
- Add these to the wet dough.
- Put the dough in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC and line with baking paper.
- We make balls with our hands about 2.5 cm. and place on the oven tray leaving about 5 cm of separation between each one.
- Flatten the balls first with your hand and then lightly with the fork to make a striped or grid design if you cross them.
- Bake until golden brown for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven and let cool for a couple of minutes and then transfer them to a wire rack where they should cool completely to crisp up.
Sugar Free Keto Peanut Butter Cookies
Ingredients (for 12-15 cookies)
- 230g peanut butter
- 85g erythritol
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¼ cdta. of salt
How to make keto sugar free peanut butter cookies
We make the cookie dough with peanut butter
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Beat the peanut butter and erythritol with an electric rod mixer or by hand, until a homogeneous mixture is left and the grains of the sweetener are not noticeable.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until a soft dough similar to plasticine forms.
- We are making 2.5 cm round balls with our hands and place them on a tray with baking paper, separating them from each other about 5 cm.
- With the palms of your hands, flatten the cookie dough until they are approximately ½ cm thick.
- With the fork we mark stripes on the top, or a grid.
- Bake at 180ºC for 9 minutes until lightly golden.
Take out and let cool
- Let cool by carefully removing them to an oven rack with a spatula, as they will still be soft and can break.
- Once cold they will be crispier.
Tips for making your peanut butter cookies
Peanut butter properties
Did you know that peanuts are actually legumes? Although known as a dry fruit, the peanut is the edible seed of the leguminous plant Arachis hypogaea , belonging to the Fabaceae family.
We advise you to buy a natural peanut butter without additives or added sugar like this one . We also recommend the one that they sell in Mercadona from their Hacendado brand, which has very good quality and is 100% natural.
Regarding the question of whether peanuts are fattening , the answer is that if they are consumed in moderation they do not have to be. Of course, it is necessary to moderate its consumption because peanut butter, although it is suitable for ketogenic diets , contains the not insignificant figure of 618 kcal per 100 g . Doing a quick calculation, each peanut butter cookie would provide us with about 94 kcal , something that is not a problem if we take some every day, since they are also quite satiating.
According to the Spanish Nutrition Foundation , it is a legume source of protein (albumin) and fat , almost as much as meat. Almost 50% of its fat is monounsaturated, and 29% polyunsaturated omega-6. It contains 27% protein, and fiber in considerable quantities. They are also a source of phosphorus, potassium, magnesium and zinc (an average serving of peanuts is equivalent to 15 and 12%, respectively, of the recommended daily intakes of phosphorus and magnesium).
As for vitamins , niacin stands out , followed by vitamin E. For example, 25 g of shelled peanuts provide 35% of the recommended intake of niacin for women.
Peanut butter cookies texture
If you see cracks appearing in the cookies, do not worry because it is absolutely normal, in fact it is part of its charm. You will see that when you remove them they are still soft and in fact you must be careful and remove them with a kitchen trowel so that they do not break. Once they cool completely they will be crispy and delicious, perfect to drink with a good glass of milk.
How to preserve peanut butter cookies
Although we doubt they will last that long, you can keep them in an airtight jar for several days.