The plum cake is a homemade sponge cake spiced with candied fruit, raisins or dried fruit traditional in the United Kingdom, where it is known as Pound Cake, and which is usually consumed at Christmas, although depending on the decoration we put on it, it can be consumed throughout year.
We leave you the traditional Plumcake recipe , more oriented to Christmas, with ideas to decorate it and be the perfect host if you organize a family meal, and also a recipe designed for the little ones in the house, or for those who are not a big fan of candied fruit or raisins, as it is made with chocolate chips. Check out more only at Pet Pooja.
Ready to see the Plum Cake recipe and enjoy it?
Traditional Plum Cake Recipe
- 150g of flour
- 150g powdered sugar
- 150g of butter
- 1 envelope (16 g) baking powder or baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 150g prunes
- 50 g candied fruit
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 50 ml of rum (optional)
How to make Traditional Plum Cake with Raisins and Candied Fruit
We prepare the plumcake dough
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC
- We put the raisins to hydrate in the rum.
- Beat the butter with the sugar until the mixture whitens and becomes fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating constantly until just incorporated.
- Sift the flour and yeast and add to the previous mixture, mixing very well until you have a homogeneous mass.
- Add the rum if we want to give it that flavor and mix.
- Drain the raisins and pass them through flour so that they do not sink to the bottom, removing the excess by shaking them in a sieve and add them to the dough.
We bake the Plum Cake
- Pour the batter into a greased plum cake mold (we like to use a silicone one that helps us unmold better)
- We take it to the oven preheated to 180ºC for approximately 45 minutes.
- To check that it is well done, prick with a toothpick until it comes out clean.
As we said above, the plum cake can be filled with candied fruit, raisins, dried fruit or all at once. It is usually a traditional Christmas cake, whose cousins are the Italian Panettone or the German Stollen .